Friday, October 13, 2017

Your Write Voice

by J Snow

Every author has heard of one, most think they will never find one, every one of them has one, and almost all are using one regardless if aware. I speak of the writer's voice. Discovering your voice is the key to unlocking your potential as a writer.

I have had more writers than I can count ask me to teach them how to write like me. Some have adapted my style in some form. Flattering as that may be, it does no writer good to use the voice of another over their own.

No. I will not teach you to write like me. I will teach you to write like YOU!

Regardless what you write, it is essential that you hone your writing style, one unique to you as a writer. So let's find and develop your voice, shall we?

Below are some exercises for discovering and practicing your own, unique voice. I suggest doing each and every one, for there is no negative in learning about yourself as a writer. You should find many of these exercises rather enlightening. Unless you look for the negative... do not be negative. This is to help you find and identify your voice not cause suicide-inducing depression. Be positive. It will be a rewarding adventure...

  • Create a list of adjectives that describe your personality (i.e. silly, witty, empathetic, charming, intelligent, snarky, dickhead, whatever) It is easiest if narrowed down to three, and most of us will struggle with identifying that many. Now, do these traits show in your writing? Is this what shows when you talk? Why or why not? How can you incorporate it if you aren't already doing so?
  • Ask friends to describe you. Sometimes those outside looking in can describe what they see in far more detailed accuracy than we probably care to acknowledge. But this is a subjective excersice. You must remember, people tend to project their own negative traits/behaviors onto others. This may not help you see yourself through another's eyes, but it sure will tell you a lot about them. Either way its a win-win situation. I include this on the list simply because most are incapable of looking at themselves honestly and objectively. All writers know the hardest character to develop is the self.  Okay, most writers. Be sure to ask for honest feedback. Whether or not you want to hear you are a narcissistic asshats is irrelevant. If you are, own it! Then learn to use it to your advantage as a writer. 
  • Ask yourself, "When writing, am I talking at my readers, over my readers, through my readers, or TO my readers?"  I'm sure it's obvious which you should be doing. I didn't capitalize it for no reason, but are you? Trust me when I say your readers don't care if you graduated Harvard draped in a Summa Cum Laude sash. It is challenging for even the most educated and avid readers to not stumble over big, brilliant, brainiac thesaurus encrusted sentences. Step down a notch. Words are a great tool for communication, but not one that should  be used as a weapon against your readers. Don't be a condescending douche. Even if those are two of the three defining adjectives chosen to describe you. Actually, if that is indeed the case, close this up right now and go search for an anti-asshole self-help book. I speak for all people of coolness--we had a meeting--we are tired of your shit! Oops, I forgot where I was for a moment. My apologies. Back to the point.... Write to your readers as you would your best friend. You will find yourself surprised how many will talk back to you. Goals!
  • Describe your ideal reader in detail. Then write them a letter. Did you write using your usual style of writing? Does it sound like you? Do your writings sound like the letter? Well then, by deduction it would seem you are already using your voice.
  • Ask readers, "What do I sound like to you when you read my work?" This should provide you with some spot-on insight, many times revealing things about us we don't typically recognize as different or unique because it is so ingrained in our being.
  • My Favorite...FREE WRITE! Start anywhere, with your name, your favorite quote, the name of a book, anything, and let everything that comes to mind fall from the ink. Do NOT edit! Not during. Not after. When finished, just read it. Does it sound familiar? Is it similar to your written pieces? If so, you are already using your voice. Great job! Go forth and spread thy words amongst thy fans! If not, who's voice did you hijack? Uncool. Give it back and get your own. It's in you. I promise
  • Once you find, recognize, hone your voice, brand that baby! I mean brand as in BRAND. Use it as your signature. Make it a recognizable, tangible thing. Scribble your name across every little thing you write. Those familiar with your work should be able to hear your voice in your work. They should know it is yours by style alone. Not everyone is so perceptive, but readers do gravitate toward certain authors because of their style. It speaks to them. Keep speaking. They want to hear you!
  • Last but not least, ask yourself, "Do I like my writer voice?" Finding your voice isn't enough. It has to be one with which you feel expresses you the way  you wish. Read something you've written recently. Is it something you would read if written by another?  If not, why not? What would you change? 
Congratulations. You should, by now, be at least familiar with your writing voice. That in itself is a huge accomplishment. I have favorites amongst the writers I have met along my journey, and they each have an original and captivating voice. I found it odd a few of them were asking others how to find their voice, entirely unaware they were already using it. The single greatest struggle for most writers is not finding their voice, but recognizing it when they do and learning how to use it to its maximum value.

Don't forget, while discovering and honing your voice, don't allow it to be boring. Speak loud and strong, but do it in a way your readers will enjoy.

Now, go write like it's criminal and use your voice to do so!

-J Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment