Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Joshua Dyer - Author Spotlight

Flash Fiction Contest Winner
Name: Josh Dwyer


How did the picture prompt your story? The emotion in the image sent me in the direction that I chose.

  • What genre(s) do you write? I write in horror, fantasy, sci-fi, western, and historical fiction. I’ll dabble in mainstream fiction from time to time, too. I’m a storyteller. So, I don’t confine myself to labels and boxes.


  • Which do you prefer to write: short stories, poetry, novellas, novels, essays, nonfiction… ?  I love to write it all! I’ve told stories in all of these formats as well as film scripts. I go where the stories take me.


  • What genre(s) do you read? I read in every genre in which I write and take in some war nonfiction from time to time.


  • What made you want to become a writer? I love taking people to another place or another time. The escapism drives me the most.


  • What is your first memory of writing? I wrote a series of corny stories when I was around eight called, “War of the Wizards”. They never amounted to much, but again, they let me escape the bullying that I underwent in school.


  • What and /or Who inspires you to write? My kids inspire me a great deal. Their imaginations help me to keep mine open.


  • What is your favorite book? One that makes me forget about who I am and what I’m doing at the moment. I like strong characters and good storytelling.


  • What do you look for in a book? I’ll skim the material at a random point. If it’s grammatically jacked up, then I’ll set it back down. If the grammar’s fine, then I’ll see where it goes for a few pages.


  • What turns you away from a book? Too much purple prose, poor grammar (some’s forgivable), and a cast of characters that needs its own encyclopedia.


  • Who is your favorite author(s)?  Stephen King, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.


  • Are you a published writer? If so, what have you published? If not, are you planning to publish or is writing simply for pleasure? Yes. I’ve published several novels, short stories, and scripts.


Joshua Dyer lives in the hills of West Virginia with his wife and children. He has had stories published in the Los Angeles Times, several of which won its Reader’s Choice Award. He loves reading, cooking, sports, and spending time with his family.

Books by Joshua Dyer


Writing Contests and Publication Opportunities



Write like it's criminal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment